What can you do to avoid cystitis?
It is not always possible to prevent cystitis, but the following list includes measures that can help you avoid the condition.
- Drink plenty of liquids, especially water.
- Avoid using chemical irritants such as perfumed soaps, deodorant sprays, feminine products, shower gels or bubble baths around your genitals.
- Take showers rather than baths.
- Urinate as frequently as needed. Do not wait.
- Empty your bladder fully.
- Empty you bladder after sexual intercourse.
- Wear cotton underwear.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing.
- Wipe from front to back when you go to the toilet.
- Wash gently the area around the vagina and anus.
- Avoid coffee, fruit juice and/or spicy food if you feel they trigger your cystitis symptoms. 1 2
What else can you do?
- Avoid having sex until your cystitis has cleared up.
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.